Food & Beverage...
We provide food and beverage regulatory advice across Australia and New Zealand including on the following areas:
- classification of products under relevant standards. We determine which standard or law is best suited to your product such as the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, Supplemented Food Standard or Dietary Supplement Regulations;
- whether the ingredients in your product are legally permitted as required under the ANZ Food Code and not prohibited under other laws such as the Medicines Act, Psychoactive Substances Act and Misuse of Drugs Act;
- labelling of products including ensuring compliance with specific labelling requirements under laws such as the ANZ Food Code, Supplemented Food Standard, Dietary Supplement Regulations, Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines Act (for pet foods), and trade measurement laws in Australia and New Zealand;
- specific claims review advice including in relation to health and nutrition content claims under Standard 1.2.7 of the ANZ Food Standards Code and general claims advice to ensure compliance with the Fair Trading Act;
- advertising and marketing compliance including ensuring compliance with the Food Act 2014, Fair Trading Act and industry advertising codes (see more on our Advertising and Marketing page);
- mutual recognition laws between Australia and New Zealand particularly in relation to selling supplemented foods and dietary supplements that comply with New Zealand laws and can then be sold in Australia (or vice versa); and
- general interpretation advice for when you are unsure of the meaning or interpretation of certain laws, or what your obligations are under these laws (such as under the Food Act).
We are also able to help with:
- general product liability and consumer claims;
- independent negotiations and discussions with regulators; and
- providing training seminars and workshops on all aspects of food and beverage law compliance, but in particular, on health and nutrition claims as well as general advertising principles (including social media law).